Crockpot Split Pea Soup
I’m not fond of Pea Soup in any form or fashion! YUCK!
My boyfriend, however, LOVES it so when I have the time and want to give him his comfort food (and have the ham bone on hand) this is what I make.
Pair it with some nice Texas Toast and a glass of your favourite beverage and you’ll have a sure fire winner!
Instead of garlic cloves I use jarred, minced garlic just to cut down on my efforts at chopping off a finger.
- 1 (16 oz./450 grams) pkg. dried green or yellow split peas, rinsed
- 1 meaty hambone or 2 ham (pork) hocks (or you could use 2 cups of diced ham, in a pinch)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt or kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
- 1 1/2 quarts hot water
- Layer all the ingredients into your slow cooker in the order given in the ingredient list. Pour in hot water. (Note: if you have a smaller slow cooker and all the water won’t fit, pour in what will fit then add the rest later as it cooks and water is absorbed by the peas). Do not stir the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours (for best results) or on low for 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired. Serve garnished with croutons. This soup freezes well.
Prep time: 5 min | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 5 min